Instruction is the most important phase of a lesson. Students are offered new material that they can connect to what they already know about the subject. A teacher can explain the material, think out loud (modelling) and show what could be done (demonstrating).
Activate students during instruction. Students who actively participate are more engaged in the learning process and recall new knowledge better.
Characteristics of instructing:
- Initial situation is clear
- Short and clear explanation to a large group
- Detailed explanation, customised to a smaller group that needs that extra instruction
- Ask questions and continue to do so
- Listen and provide feedback
- Where necessary, evaluate in a formative manner